SPC Foundation in Levesville, France
Shaken and moved by the prevalence of misery, poverty, ignorance and religious torpor of his congregation as a result of the Hundred Years War, Father Louis Chauvet, the parish priest of a little village, Levesville-la- Chenard, made a determined and unmistakably decisive endeavor to uplift the human and spiritual levels of his villagers.
Having these services for his people in mind: to educate the young girls and to visit and care for the poor in the neighboring hamlets, in 1696, Father Chauvet asked Marie Ann de Tilly, a young lady of nobility, to help him with his plans. Together with some peasant girls of Beauce, their mission of charity was started; a small and dark room in the church served as their first classroom. Not long after, a restored house was renovated to accommodate the increasing number
of girls; the “Daughters of the School” (as the volunteers were called) gratuitously persevered in their life of poverty and hard work. Soon after, this fraternal community was established as a religious order, later to be known as the SISTERS OF ST. PAUL OF CHARTRES.
The school founded by Fr. Chauvet is known to be the first school in the diocese of Chartres that answered the mandate of King Louis IV of France that parishes should establish small schools in their areas.
SPC Foundation in the Philippines
As the Congregation grew in number, calls to the following mission lands were answered: Cayenne in France Guiana, Madagascar, Martinique, and Guadaloupe. It was in the early 20th century that the Congregation responded to the call of the Far East: Hongkong, in 1848 and Vietnam in 1860. These were followed by missions in Jap an, Korea, Thailand and China. The Philippine mission was started after the arrival of some Sisters from Vietnam who landed in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental on October 29, 1904 upon the invitation of Bishop Frederick Zadok Rooker. The first SPC Novitiate in the Philippines opened on June 21, 1911.
SPC Foundation in Ilocos Sur
The Sisters of the Congregation of St. Paul of Chartres (SPC) ventured into Vigan, the center of a flourishing Spanish colony, on June 5, 1905, on the invitation of Bishop Dennis Joseph Dougherty six hundred forty seven (647) years after the seat of the Diocese of Nueva Segovia was transferred from Cagayan to to Vigan, Ilocos Sur in 1758.
As American Protestantism made its entry into the Philippines, the Iglesia Filipina Independiente popularly known as the Aglipayan Churchwas dividing the ranks of the secular clergy. Gregorio Aglipay, a priest from Batac, Ilocos Norte, was consecrated the Supreme Bishop of the Aglipayan Church on January 18, 1903 – a few months ahead of the consecration of Bishop Rooker and Bishop Dougherty in Rome.
There were seven (7) pioneer Sisters in Vigan. They were Sr. Marthe de St. Paul, the Superior and Foundress, St. Suzanne de Sacre Coeur, Sr. Gilbert Andios, St. Theophane de la Croix Fleury, Sr. Julia de Benoit des Remedios, Sr. Josephine Rappeport, and Sr. Madaleine Lau. They took over the Girls’ College of Our Lady of the Rosary started by the Dominican Sisters who left when the friars withdrew after the Americans won over Spain. The community of SPC Sisters who planted the seed of Paulinian Education that has grown through the years became the foundation of the first Paulinian school in Luzon.
The Vigan Paulinian Family takes pride in being the Cradle of Paulinian Education in northern Luzon. It is one among the schools owned by the Congregation of SPC Sisters spread in the Philippines.
St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur: Growth and Development Through the Years
January 11, 1905 - Mother Candida Cousin, Principal of the Extreme Orient, accepted the invitation of Monsignor Dennis Dougherty to take care of the school, “Our Lady of the Holy Rosary” (“Colegio del Rosario”)
June 5, 1905 - Seven zealous and devoted Sisters arrived in Vigan to prepare the school. They were Sr. Martha de St. Paul, the Superior and Foundress, St. Suzanne de Sacre Coeur, Sr. Gilbert Andios, St. Theophane de la Croix Fleury, Sr. Julia de Benoit des Remedios, Sr. Josephine Rappeport, and Sr. Madaleine Lau.
September 12, 1905 - Three more sisters arrived, namely, Sr. Augustine Marie, Sr. Agnes Marie, and St. Ambroisine, the first Filipina Sister who joined them. Sr. Colombe was the last to arrive that year.
Elementary instruction, Catechetical Work and the Arts like Music, Painting, Embroidery and Handicrafts were the first subjects taught in the school.
March 17, 1910 - The Primary and Intermediate Grades were recognized by the government with the right to give certificates and diplomas.
January 11, 1911 - The school was incorporated under the title of “Girls College of Our Lady of the Rosary.”
July 28, 1927 - The first High School graduation took place with Francisc Meris (Sr. Luisa, SPC), one of the greatest educators of SPC, Modesta
Claustro (Sr. Modesta, SPC), and Benilda Mendoza as among the first graduates.
The school was incorporated as “Rosary Academy.”
World War II Years
1941 - The Sisters planned to open a Normal course but World War II prevented them from realizing their plan.
Becoming a Teacher-Training Institution
1946 - The Junior Normal College acquired recognition from the government.
1948 - The first two years of Liberal Arts was recognized.
1949 - The following courses were recognized by the Government: two-year Elementary Teacher’s Certificate with one year Home
Economics (ETC-H.E.), four-year Bachelor of Science in Home Economics (BSHE), and the four-year Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE).
July 1, 1950 - The following courses were recognized: Elementary course in Piano, two-year Junior course in Piano, and two-year Teacher’s Course in Piano.
July 1, 1952 - The permit to open the four-year Liberal Arts (AB) Course was obtained.
July 15, 1953 - The permit to open the four-year Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (BSEEd) was granted.
1955 - Sr. Virginie de Marie Manuel was installed as Directress.
June 11, 1956 - Government recognition was granted to Rosary College for Kindergarten Course.
1960 - 1966 - The term of Sr. Virginie de Marie Manuel as Superior-Directress during which the Bantay compound was acquired.
1965 - Sr. Marie Clotilde of the Cross Andes, the College Dean, accepted the first male students to the College Department. Due to the increase in school population, the College Department had to use some rooms of the Immaculate Conception Seminary which, at that time, was vacated by the Seminarians.
1968 - The College students had to occupy the Burgos House, now the Ayala Museum, when the Seminary was burned down.
January 1968 - The Laying of the cornerstone of the building in Bantay took place during the term of Sr. Marie Alexis Pacis, SPC, Superior-Directress.
January 1968 - The Laying of the cornerstone of the building in Bantay took place during the term of Sr. Marie Alexis Pacis, SPC, Superior-Directress.
October 1969 - Rosary College was reincorporated under the name, “St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur”
1972 - Sr. Marie Alexis de Jesus Pacis, SPC was re-installed as Directress.
1975 - Sr. Marie Edmund Antonio, SPC was installed as Directress.
1978 - Sr. Mary Nathaniel Rocero, SPC, Directress-Dean of SPCIS, admitted boys to the High School Department and once more admitted boys to the College Department.
1980 - Diamond Jubilee Year (75 years) Celebration during the incumbency of Sister Marie Celine Santos, SPC as Directress and Sister Philomena Charles Ballesteros, SPC as Superior of the Religious Community.
May 12, 1980 - The permit to open Four-Year Course in Bachelor of Science in Business Administration was granted.
1981 - Sister Mary Florence Echanis, SPC was appointed Superior of the Religious Community.
November 18, 1982 - The laying of the cornerstone of the Gymnasium took place.
1983 - The blessing of the SPCIS Gymnasium by Archbishop Jose Sanchez, D.D., assisted by Fr. Ben Paderes was held.
1984 – 1985 - Class Sections were named after Saints.
1986 - Sr. Maria Rosalia Bacallan, SPC was installed as Superior of the Religious Community.
March 1988 - The laying of the cornerstone of the Grade School building in Bantay by Archbishop Orlando Quevedo, O.M.I., D.D. took place.
1988 – 1989 - Implementation of the New Secondary Education Curriculum (NSEC)
July 1, 1989 - Blessing of the newly constructed Grade School building and the high School Library-Laboratory by Archbishop Orlando Quevedo, O.M.I., D.D. was held.
Curricular Expansion to Meet Regional Development Needs
July 1989 - DECS gave recognition to the Basic Computer Systems program for Professionals and Modified Basic Computer Systems for children.
December 12, 1989 - DECS gave permit to offer the Associate in Computer Science program (ACS) effective SY 1990-1991.
May 1990 - Sister Lilia Therese Tolentino, SPC was installed Superior-Directress.
July 2, 1990 - DECS approved the revision of Junior Secretarial Science course per DECS Order 42, s. 1989.
October 11-12, 1990 - 85th Foundation Anniversary Celebration took place during the term of Sr. Lilia Therese Tolentino, SPC as Superior-Directress.
April 8 – 12, 1991 - First Computer Trainer’s Training
June 14, 1991 - The permits to open a four-year course in Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA) and a two-year course in Associate in Computer Science (ACS) were granted DECS recognition.
May 1992 - The third wing of the Grade School Building was completed.
February 4-5, 1993 - The Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU) visited High School Department for preliminary survey.
October 1994 - Sr. Macarius Lacuesta, SPC was installed as Directress and Sr. Estrellita Teresita Orlino, SPC as the Superior of the Religious Community.
January 21-24, 1995 - The 90th Jubilee was launched.
February 6, 1995 - PAASCU consultancy visit of the High School Department for formal accreditation.
January 19, 1996 - High School Department received its Certificate of Level II Accreditation.
1996 - The blessing of the new Kindergarten Building in Bayubay, San Vicente compound was held. The laying of the cornerstone of the College building beside the Grade School in Bayubay, San Vicente compound took place.
April 28, 1997 - Sr. Ma. Dina Alilain, SPC was installed as Directress.
1997 - The College Department transferred to the New College Building at Bayubay, San Vicente Compound.
Construction of the following facilities took place at the Bayubay, San Vicente Compound: canteen, warehouse, powerhouse, and cemented pathways connecting the Preschool, Grade School, and College buildings to the new canteen.
The Paulinian Family Circle (PFC), an organization of Parents and Teachers was organized in each Department.
January 12, 1998 - Pentium ’97 Computer Units for the College Department were acquired.
1998-1999 - A new Non-formal Education (NFE)-Community Extension Program (CEP) Center was constructed.
Summer 1999 - Façade if the College Building was cemented and Gate 4 was constructed.
July 21, 1999 - Study Sheds for college students and the Calvary were constructed.
Onwards to the Year 2000
March 13, 2000 - Permit to offer the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science was granted.
Grade School Industrial Arts/H.E. Building was constructed and furnished.
October 2000 - Sr. Ma. Anunciata Sta. Ana, SPC was installed as Superior of the Religious Community.
Pere Louis Chauvet Hall (PLC) was constructed in Bayubay, San Vicente, Ilocos Sur.
June 2002 - Sr. Marie Celine Santos, SPC was appointed Directress, Sr. Teresita Punay, SPC as Superior of the Religious Community and Sr. Fidelisa Portillo, SPC as College Dean effective September 2002.
October 2002 - Application to open new courses was filed with CHED and TESDA
April 28, 2003 - Permit to open Bachelor of Science in Information Technology was granted.
May 8, 2003 - Permit to open First Year Bachelor of Science in Nursing was granted.
May 2003 - Opening of Nursery program.
May 15, 2003 - Permit was granted to open Two-Year Computer Secretarial, One-Year Certificate of Office Assistantship, One-Year Certificate in Software User, and Encoder programs.
May 16, 2003 - Groundbreaking and Laying of Cornerstone of the new College Building was officiated by Archbishop Edmundo M. Abaya, D.D.
June 2003 - Revised curriculum in all programs were submitted to CHED and effective for the First Year, School Year 2003-2004.
CHED granted the school auxiliary permit to open new majors in Bachelor of Science in Business Administration: Marketing, Management Accounting, and Entrepreneurship.
June 20, 2003 - Application for PAASCU accreditation was made for the following Programs: Elementary, Liberal Arts, Education, Commerce and Computer Science
July 2003 - The Industrial Arts/Home Economics building and NFE-CEP Center was renovated to accommodate the HRM and Caregiver laboratories.
Application was made for new courses in Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management and Bachelor of Science in Tourism with CHED Regional Office.
February16–17, 2004 - PAASCU Preliminary Survey of the Elementary Department was done.
February 26-27, 2004 - PAASCU Preliminary Survey of the College programs: Liberal Arts, Education, Commerce, and Computer Science was done.
May 26, 2004 - The Government Recognition No. 017, s. 2004 to operate the Bachelor of Science in Accountancy was granted.
June 5, 2004 - The Blessing of the new College Building “Our Lady of the Rosary” was officiated by Archbishop Edmundo M. Abaya, D.D.
September 30, 2004 - The Grade School was granted Level 1 Accreditation status by PAASCU.
January 2005 - Launching of St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur Centennial Jubilee was held. Construction of Gazebo in front of the Grade School took place.
January 31, 2005 - Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program of the College Department was granted Level I accreditation status by PAASCU.
May 31, 2005 - High School Department was granted Level II re-accreditation status by PAASCU
June 2005 - The revised curriculum in Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education and Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education programs were implemented.
December, 2005 - Unveiling of markers were done on:
December 7, 2005 - at Pandan, Caoayan, Ilocos Sur
December 9, 2005 - at San Nicolas School, Sinait, Ilocos Sur
December 13, 2005 - at Sta. Lucia Institute, Sta. Lucia, Ilocos Sur
December 16, 2005 at Sta. Teresita Institute, Narvacan, Ilocos Sur
December 20, 2005 at Asilo de San Vicente, San Vicente, Ilocos Sur
December 27, 2005 - Culmination of St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur Centennial Jubilee was held.
January 31, 2006 - The Grade School was granted Level II accreditation status by PAASCU.
June 15, 2006 - Government Recognition No. 009, s. 2006 to operate Bachelor of Science in Information Technology was granted.
March 20, 2007 - Government Recognition No. 005, s. 2007 to operate Bachelor of Science in Nursing was granted.
April 11, 2007 - Government Recognition No. 009, s. 2007 to operate Bachelor of Science in Tourism was granted.
June 2007 - Implemented of the Ladderized curriculum in Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management began.
Change in titles of top level administrators from “Directress” to “President” and from “Coordinator” to “Vice-President” was adopted.
June 1, 2007 - Certificates of Technical Vocational Education Training (TVET) Program Registration for Computer Hardware Servicing NC II, Programming NC IV, and PC Operations NC II were awarded by TESDA.
June 6, 2007 - Certificate of Authority to operate the Ladderized Program for Bachelor of Science in Information Technology under E.O. 358 was issued by CHED.
June 2007 - Renovation of the Administration Building started.
August 14, 2007 - Certificate of TVET Program Registration for Housekeeping NC II, Front Office Service NC II, Bartending NC II, Commercial Cooking NC II, Food and Beverage Service NC II, and Baking/Pastry Production NC II were awarded by TESDA.
August 28, 2007 - Certificate of Authority to operate the Ladderized Program for Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management under E.O. 358 was issued by CHED.
October 2007 - The newly renovated Administration Building was ready for occupancy.
June 2008 - Implementation or the revised curriculum in Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Accountancy, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing began.
November 21, 2008 - PAASCU revisit of the High School in Faculty and Instruction areas took place.
June 4, 2009 - PAASCU granted Level II Accreditation Status to Liberal Arts, Education, and Business Administration Programs; and Level I for Computer Science.
December 14, 2009 - PAASCU granted Level II Reaccreditation Status to the Grade School Program.
June 29, 2010 - St. Paul University System conferred St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur as an affiliate member of the SPUS whose constituent members are SPU Philippines-Tuguegarao City, SPU-Dumaguete City, SPU-Iloilo City, SPU-Manila City, SPU-Quezon City, and SPU-Surigao City.
June 25, 2011 - Sr. Teresita Bayona, SPC was installed as the 2nd President of St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur.
July 2011 - Mr. Jan Brian Astom, BSN Batch 2011, ranked 10th place in the 2011 Nursing Licensure Examination.
August 6, 2011 - The pioneer episode of “Ayat Ken Dunngo ti Paulinian”, SPCIS’ radio program, was broadcasted live over DZNS 96.3 kilohertz.
August 12- 13, 2011 - SPCIS managers revisited the SPCIS Vision-Mission Statements.
September 9, 2011 - SPCIS Faculty affirmed their signatures on the copy of the revised vision-mission statement. A series of visioning and cascading exercises followed from the administrative level down to the student-level bodies.
September 2011 - SPCIS powered up the identification and information system through students’ identification cards. E-cash, E-attendance, E-broadcast, and E-grades were introduced and implemented.
January 6, 2012 - Blessing of the Hotel & Restaurant Management Laboratory and Tourism Management office was held.
February 17-18, 2012 - SPCIS hosted the 1st BIDA: Be the Change Culture Program with the theme, “Change-maker, Peace-Keeper” in Region 1 of the catholic Educational Association of the Philippines (CEAP).
March 15, 2012 - Groundbreaking of the Elementary Department’s Cradle for Nurturing and Reviving Natural Resources; Abode to Commune with God and Nature; Depository Nook of SPCIS Artifacts and Historical Heritage; Laboratory of Skills and Life; and Experiential Learning (CRADLE) Ville as the expression of its commitment to Peace Education and the Integrity of Creation.
March 22, 2012 - The construction the school swimming pool donated by an elementary alumnus, Governor Luis “Chavit” Singson commenced.
Back to top
5 Core Values